Best Backpacking Hatchet: Campers and trekkers are the ultimate travel fanatics, who often organize a group to go off for camping or trekking almost every year after a short interval of 4-5 months. You may find plenty of travellers, who don’t care about flight availability, hotel-rooms, residential accommodations, etc. while planning a trip. Most of those trips are organized in remote hilly areas, or rocky mountains where usually people don’t visit.
All they accompany with them is a rucksack, tent, dry fruits and a backpacking hatchet! It’s always best to carry a backpacking hatchet in a trekking trip because,
- A hatchet is a perfect tool for fixing a tent.
- Perfect material for splitting, tree branches, dried leaves and stem to light bon-fire.
- Easy to build tinders and kindle for evading too cold near the tents etc.
Back in the ancient times, hatchet was used as a perfect hunting tool for fighting predatory animals. It was a primitive tool in the Paleolithic age for self-defence. Today, it might not be used for killing animals, but it’s a perfect weapon for self-defence particularly when you plan to build a camp in dense woods.
Choice Fiskars X7 Hatchet
- Lifetime warranty
- Chops deeper with each swing
- Low-friction blade coating
CLICK FOR PRICE BG Approved Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet
- Wild tested!
- Mildew-resistant nylon sheath
- non-slip rubber grip
CLICK FOR PRICE MADE
IN USA Estwing Camping Hatchet
- Most durable
- Perfect for chopping logs
- Hand sanded and lacquered
Different types of best camping hatchet or axe
Generally, a camping axe or a backpacking hatchet are of three types, tactical axe, camping axe and a survival hatchet or axe.
Camping hatchets are usually made for user-friendly purposes, that’s why their safety factors are uncompromising. They’re usually made of mid-size and are meant to handle small tasks like preparing a camp-fire, hammering the poles for fixing a tent, splitting woods, making tinder kindles, etc.
Whereas, survival axes and hatchets are usually meant for domestic and repair, outdoor renovation and DIY restoration purposes. But, the tactical axes and hatchets are used for cutting wild branches, stems of a tree, clearing the unnecessary grown bushes while trekking or walking through a trek route. That’s why, tactical hatchets are a reliable minion of trekkers, campers and rock climbers.
If you’re fanatic about travelling with your rucksack or a backpack and set off for trekking, camping then you would definitely like the list of the top best backpacking hatchet selected by our editors that has been listed below.
Top 10 Best Backpacking Hatchets That You Should Carry While Going For Camping or off to Trekking:
Backpackers often need a tool that’s handy to carry, easy to use and above all safe to use.
The Fiskars X7E hatchet has every ability to meet the criteria you’re looking for. The tool is known for its unique features like cheap, light and flared head, which assures the product to evade getting wedged. The reason for which Fiskars X7E has been included in the list of top 10 best backpacking hatchets is its trustworthiness. With a reputation for building a wide array of materials to assure work safety standards for the builders, fixers and handymen, they are known for their paramount product quality meant for rugged use. Since 1649, Fiskars Corporation has been one of the leading suppliers of consumer products for home, garden and outdoors. Their 365 years old product quality has made them one of the most trusted ax manufacturing companies of Finland, who’re also into manufacturing scissors, knives and other cutting tools.
Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat.
From splitting kindles to building tinders, gardening to crafting, sewing to fixing, they have shown ultimate loyalty to the users. Fiskars have always proved to be a loyal mate to blacksmiths, handymen, gardeners, landscaping specialists to that extent, that it’s difficult for them to spend a day without carrying Fiskars product while the call comes to do their duty under hostile challenges. Their e-store is always wide open for those who take interest in cutting small and medium sized logs, having a knack to cut vegetables, chicken fruits like an artist just like master chefs.
Wait! That’s not all, even builders, fixers and professional interior decorators use Fiskars for shaping, crafting and building multiple objects. As, one of the most reliable brands in the US market, it has consistently served significantly large number of buyers with its,
- Better grip.
- Aggressively shaped head.
- Lightweight size.
- Suitable for heavy splitting tasks.
- Well balanced light weight shaft.
- 16.5 x 5.5 x 1 inches (Product Dimension)
- 1.38 pounds.
- Superior design.
- Impactful hit in each stroke.
- Lightweight (1.4lbs)
- Lifetime warranty.
- Easy to carry.
- Plastic coated handle minimizes the chances of shattering and splinter.
- Perfect tool for splitting small to medium sized logs.
- Increased swing speed.
- One Strike splits.
- Chops 3X deeper than usual hatchets.
- Meant for meeting extreme performance.
- Blade grinding technique with sharper edges for a better and clean cut.
- Low fiction blade coating.
- Unbreakable fiber comp handles and inseparable insert. molded heads.
- Might not be suitable for cutting large chunks of log or hard substances.
Planning for a short trip off to the moors or to the wild without even taking a survival axe?
It’s difficult for campers or backpackers to think about going off to the moors or the wild without taking a survival hatchet. A survival hatchet has a firm grip to split kindlings, splitting tinders, in a camp that is 100% safe.
Bear Grylls approved
Full tang, high carbon steel construction for durability.
Gerber Bear Grylls 31-002070 hatchet is a perfect fit for all such campers who need a survival hatchet for building a temporary shelter in the wild woods.
The product’s glass filled nylon assures better grip for cutting and chopping multiple hard objects easily.
- Portable design (1.4lbs)
- 3.5” blade for precise and swift cuts.
- Full carbon steel construction to assure durability.
- Mildew resistant nylon sheath.
- Comfortable to sustain hostile weather conditions.
- 3.5 inch razor sharp blade.
- Full tang construction for performing hardest tasks.
- Wild tested Bear Grylls approved.
- Perfect handy tomahawk.
- Reverse side of the blade acts as a perfect hammer.
- Suitable for limbing saplings as splitting logs.
- Craftsman’s mate for crafting tools in multiple shapes.
- Rubberized zero slip grip.
- Sturdy sheath.
- Crosshatched striking surface for all types of camping duties.
- Might not be useful for performing all those actions that a regular axe can do.
Famed as a Swedish motocycle manufacturing, Husqvarna is also a renowned name for manufacturing wide ranges of gardening tools. Electric tree-cutters, chainsaws, Lawn mowers, tillers, hedge trimmers.
Apart from manufacturing and selling modern tree cutters chainsaws, Husqvarna is also a well renowned brand for manufacturing axes. But unlike the Gerber Bear, or Fiskars, Husqvarna wooden axes can go wrong, if you’re not careful while swinging it for striking. Though the material wasn’t manufactured for camping or trekking purposes, but it’s powerful Swedish tool is no less than any strong aluminum steel that can split multiple objects like kindle, tinder, etc.
Small, light axe that can be used for cutting branches or splitting small camp fire wood.
The tool is a perfect material for building firewood, camping and garden work.The product comes with a leather edge cover, and the razor of it is perfectly sharpened for splitting solid objects like chunks of wood, logs, etc. with a single stroke. The way it’s fastened to the top of the hatchet assures safety, as it sits rigidly on the top of the wooden holder.
- Perfect companion for cutting firewood, camping and garden work.
- Lightweight and weighs not more than 2.5 lbs
- High quality Sweedish axe steel, perfect for cutting wood, logs.
- Capable for long term use, if it’s maintained.
- Hickory handle.
- Assures precise and more control than any other ordinary camping axes.
- Perfect material for bushcrafting.
- Guaranteed balance and durability factor.
- Specialized brand for a wide array of cutting materials like chainsaw, lawn mower, hedge trimmer.
- Reliable steel for building campfire out of kindles and tinders.
- Few users may not like the additional coating provided on the product.
Your camping experience will be fantastic if you add this 14 inches hatchet in your list. A member of Forged Steel Construction & Genuine Leather Grip, this one is considered as one of the most lasting tools. If you are a true camping addict, this hatchet can provide you the utmost satisfaction that you always desired for. This product is perfect for chopping logs, splitting firewood, cutting small branches and trees etc. Crafted with perfect high quality materials this product guarantees 100% safety to you. Check out the features and grab this camping hatchet without delay.
FORGED IN ONE PIECE!
Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- The product can be forged in one piece.
- Within just few seconds you can easily chop the logs and branches.
- Grips are lacquered and sanded that makes it lasting and durable.
- It has a durable nylon sheath that ensures added protection.
- Made up of metal and high quality leather that makes it extraordinarily stylish and worthy.
- Weight 1.7 pounds which is not very difficult to handle.
- Moderate weight and easy to lift.
- Affordable price that perfectly suits your pocket.
- Polished and hand sharpened that makes it very smooth to use.
- Best for carrying while going to difficult and extremely adventurous trek.
- Provides warranty on the product.
- Can be difficult for novice users who are inexperienced in trekking.
If you think that you are not good enough with Axes or hatchet, this one is a good as well as safer choice for you. This Gerber Gator Axe II is one of the simple tools that you can handle without any hassle. The product does not have a lot of features. But, whatever this axe has to offer you can suit your small requirements to the best. If you are on a short trip and wish to keep an emergency tool with you, go for Gerber Gator Axe without any second thought. Here are the features for you.
Any condition. Any task.
Gator Grip handle material provides sure grip in all conditions.
- Amazing striking force with blade durability.
- Best suited for cutting brush and branches in your yard.
- Grip handle made up of metal that makes it perfectly protective.
- Easy and secured for travelling.
- Best for first time user.
- You can manage it well with no anxiety of getting any deep cut.
- Gator grip handle.
- Light weight with no issue for handling and travelling.
- Easy to chop small wood.
- Easy to cut branches and small bushes in your yard.
- Affordable with no financial burden for buying it.
- Super sharp and easy to sharper as well.
- You cannot use this product for chopping large chunk of woods.
Also Read – Best Axe Sharpener
Do you think that a stylish person like you wearing all branded clothes cannot carry a dull heavy looking tool while camping? If yes, then choose Schrade Stainless Steel Axe instantly. This product is made up of stainless-steel and has an extremely trendy look that perfectly matches with your persona. However, you should not think that the tool only looks good and will noy be worthy for you. It has a lot of features to impress you instantly. Read on to know the features.
Strong and Sharp
DURABLE & SECURE
Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the ergonomic black rubber grip.
- 11.8 inch length overall where the blade is of 3.8 inch making it a worth investment.
- 6.4 ounces weight which is not so heavy so you can travel with it easily.
- Titanium Coated with glass fiber filling that makes the product protective.
- Easy to store with a proper cover made up of leather.
- No risk of getting deep cut due to its thermoplastic belt sheath.
- The product is cold resistible and best for taking with you while mountaineering.
- It has an extra large ferro rod making it easy to handle.
- It has an ergonomic black TPR rubber grip.
- Strong and sharp that can cut wood and branches of the trees in just few seconds.
- There is no warranty with the product.
If you are searching for the best lightweight backpacking hatchet, this one should be your first choice. The axe is not only lightweight but also worthy in different ways. Your camping experience will be smooth when you take this product inside your backpack. Camping is adventurous and it is fun too. Sometimes, problems can take place if you forget to take necessary items with you. Check the features to know why this product is necessary while camping.
Traditional scouting and camping hatchet
The Axe Book comes with every axe purchased from Gransfors Bruk, Made in Sweden.
- 13.50 inch axe is the best for carrying while camping.
- It has vegetable-tanned leather sheath that makes it safe to handle.
- It is a traditional scouting and camping axe that gets fitted within your backpack without any hassle.
- It is a little hatchet that is easy to cut tight ropes and small tree branches.
- Best for travelling due to light weight.
- Sharp razor and easy to sharpen.
- Affordable for the campers.
- There is no such con of the product.
If you are searching for an all-purpose hatchet, then add Huts Brunk product’s name to your list now. This axe is a small tool made up of high quality metal that perfectly suits your day to day work. This axe is popular among the customers who are more into backcountry jobs. There are lots of amazing features of the product that would be best for you to know.
Handle: Solid American Hickory
- 1.75 pounds weight makes the product easy to handle for any one.
- Made up of solid Swedish steel gives a trendy look and makes it brilliant to use at the same time.
- Perfect size which is best for camping, fine carving and cutting small woods.
- You can use it as an all-purpose tool for small garden work.
- Can easily be tucked into your backpack or worn on a belt.
- Comes with a handle of 16 inches that makes it 100% safe to use.
- This can also be regarded as one of the best lightweight backpacking hatchet.
- Best to use for garden works.
- Can fine carve the branches of the trees.
- You can carry it in your backpack easily.
- 100% safe to use.
- Not suitable for wilder and adventurous long camping.
This is one of the tough axes that can be a bit difficult for you to handle if you are not an experienced one. If you are an avid trekker and camper, this camp axe can be your best friend in the whole journey. It has a forge-head that requires a good strength for handling. It is a hardy tool and indeed a worth investment if you are a regular camper and trekker. Know the features and get one if you haven’t already and add this to your list of best backpacking hatchets.
SOG Limited Lifetime Warranty
Fully forged head and handle with rubber overmold
- Handle with rubber over mold and fully forge-head making it a hardy product.
- 3.4-Inch 1005C Axe head.
- Straight blade with a steel type 1055C hardness.
- Overall length 16 inches with 33 ounces weight.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Comes with a leather cover and rubber handle making it easy to grip.
- Flat back for making the hammering hassle-free.
- Beautifully crafted and designed that suits best for campers who goes for wild trekking and camping.
- It has a flat back for hammering steaks and home pegs.
- Full-tang construction makes it a brilliant product for sturdiness.
- You can have a secured grip because of its co-molded handle.
- It has molded nylon carry sheath.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty.
This product can be your favorite campsite tool which you will always want to recommend as the best backpacking hatchet. This Tinder Personal Axe will provide you numerous numbers of key features that can be very helpful during the camping days. Learn more about the key features before it is too late. If your camping tour is already knocking at the door, get one today.
Pry point, Nail remover, Bottle opener and Set of four hex tools
- Easy to handle and pack axe that comes within your backpack.
- Sharp edge that helps in cutting tinder branches in a jiffy.
- Back of the product is the hammer which is perfect for pounding in tent stakes.
- The product has a nail remover, a built-in pry point, a bottle opener and also a set of four hex tools.
- 15 ounces weight with just 10 inches length.
- Blackwash finish to protect the tool from getting stained.
- Flat back for making the hammering hassle-free.
This is one of the best backpacking hatchets with multi-faceted features.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Perfectly sized to add in your backpack.
- Multi-purpose tool best for camping.
- All-weather glass filled nylon.
- Rubber grip handle making it a secured one.
- Plastic blade protector.
- There is no such cons of the product.
By now, you must have understood the importance of carrying a backpacking hatchet or a trekking axe before going off to camping, but what you need to know is the best backpacking hatchet for your camping trip.
The importance of using a backpacking hatchets have been identified
- Lightweight axes are the best backpacking hatchet for camping and off-route trekking
Since hatchets and axes are a heavy tool to carry, it’s important to carry an axe that’s lightweight and seems comfortable to carry. An average backpacking axe head might be of 1.25lb, and as per mathematics, the whole weight of the axe would be somewhere close to 2lb. A heavy axe or a hatchet can be useful for those who are professionally involved in cutting and chopping heavy chunks of logs, wood materials, etc.
Since, the reason for which you’re planning to get a hatchet isn’t the same, you need a comparatively lighter material that’s easy to carry and comfortable to swing. One such hatchet might be useful for you when you’re all set for cutting splinders, kindles to light fire at night near the camp. On the top, a lightweight backpacking hatchet stands best for a camper in following ways:
- It’s utility value is suitably justified
- Reduction in weight
- Swinging the tool is easy
- Perfect replacement of a knife, as it takes comparatively less time than a knife to split and cut objects in required shape and sizes
- Perfect to use during extreme climatic conditions
- Easy to build kindles and tinders
Sometimes knives might not be an ideal mate for you on a camping trip. A knife may take time to cut the dried leaves, tree branches and stems for building tinders. Whereas, by swinging your lightweight backing axe you can always carve a kindling out of a wood easily. That way, you save time and energy to set up fire.
- Choose a backpacking hatchet that’s best for maintaining perfect balance
Balancing is an important factor that a buyer must not compromise while looking for the best backpacking hatchet, as it can be dangerous to play with an axe. You can identify a good axe easily, and call it best, when it’s lightweight and the backpacking hatchet head remains in horizontal posture while not in use. Such an advantage reduces the chances of wobbling when you swing it and guarantees accuracy.
- It’s best to use a hatchet for backpacking that’s convenient to handle
The head of a good hatchet must be easy to handle, without compromising the accuracy of the razor under any circumstances. Then only, you may call an axe perfect for camping. The head of a good hatchet must sit comfortably on an object, just as a ‘knife sits on a melted butter’. On the top, the user may carve an object or a material in a perfect shape after using the tool for chopping or splitting a solid hard object.
Few benefits of using a convenient lightweight backpacking hatchet or axe that has been identified best so far:
- A thick head hatchet will have hard time while penetrating in wood, but it’s effective to take down a tree or a sufficiently strong and solid object with a few strokes.
- A hatchet handle can be made of either metal or wood. It’s wise to choose a material with a wooden handle, as it’s easy to carry and convenient to use. Whereas, a steel handle might be difficult and inconvenient to use for a user.
- Fiberglass handles are a convenient option for using a hatchet due to its durable and light handle which is easy to carry. It turns splitting, cutting and chopping solid objects easy.
- Wooden handles are also a good option, but while keeping the hatchet, get an assurance that the material is placed vertically, lining up with the bit.
Similar Read – What is a hatchet used for?
Key Things to Look for in a Backpacking and Camping Hatchet
Before investing your dollars on a camping axe, or for buying the best backpacking lightweight camping hatchet, as a buyer you must look out for a few things identified below,
- Choosing the best steel for backpacking hatchet available in the market
The quality of a true blade must have specialized steels. High carbon steels like 1065-1095 should be perfect for a steel blade. Such blades are perfect for evading rust and corrosion and are affordable. It’s an added advantage to use a steel that’s heat resistant upto 1085-1095, as it will help you to avail the utmost benefit of using a backpacking hatchet.
- Weight of the axe
Weight of the tool is an important factor that a user must not compromise with buying a hatchet. It depends upon the user, when it comes to an axe weight. Though heavyweight axes are equally preferable for doing all kinds of activities that a camping hatchet does, since backpackers have to carry a lot of other things as well, a lightweight backpacking hatchet is best for the campers. Nobody wants to take the burden of carrying a heavy axe after trekking through the hilly off-roads of mountainous regions. That’s why, a lighter axe is always suggested for camping and trekking.
- Length and quality of the material
Standard hatchets come in 16”36” inches, but if you’re planning to invest dollars on the best backpacking hatchet for yourself, the head and body weight of the axe must be checked before buying it. It’s best to carry a short backpacking hatchet so that the material quality seems perfect for chopping purpose as well as for self-defence in the woods.
- Tool safety
Safety of the material is another major factor while choosing a camping hatchet. The hatchet handles usually come in two types, wooden handles and fiberglass handles. While the wooden handles are meant for pros who’re well acquainted with standard medium sized axes. Whereas, fiberglass handles are preferable for the beginners who’re the neo users of cutting and chopping tools.
After all, the responsibility of your safety depends solely upon you.
Buyer’s Guide for Best Backpacking hatchets popularly used for Camping Purpose
As a buyer, every individual needs to know the basic guidelines while choosing the best camping axe or backpacking hatchet for themselves. Those guidelines might help a buyer to verify some of these things before buying a hatchet.
- Size and weight of the material
- Type of the blade that meets your purposes like tent stakes, splitting kindlers, etc. which are needed in camping
- Swiftness in operation
- Effectiveness of the product while swinging
- Additional blade cover available or not
- Available accessories coming with the tool
- Affordability factor
These are a few things which you must look out for as a buyer to acquire a best backpacking lightweight hatchet for your camping trip.
The hatchet, being one of the most pivotal tools for backpacking camping and multiple other utilities as well, meets every criteria of a perfect cutter when a user avails maximum use out of it. Since, there are multiple hatchets available in the market, as a user you must be smart enough to shortlist a product that suitably fulfills your requirement niche and gives you the extended benefits of a camping axe.